You are presently on a tour of the town of  KEITH with pictures and explanatory text

This is  Page 3

Featuring - North Church, New Longmore Hall, War Memorial, Trinity Church and Earlsmount

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The North Church lies at the bottom of Mid Street, with an entry from there shown in the picture, and  continues round the corner on to Moss street. The church, Elizabethan in style, with spire, was opened in 1845 and was known as the Free Church.  Around 1929 the church became the property of the Church of Scotland, and was named the North Church. The church amalgamated with the Newmill Church around 1975 and also with the Boharm Church in 1980. The manse is just visible on the left, across the busy A96. The information board gives details of the Ministry Team.

The Longmore hall was extensively extended in 1964. Plaque shown here.  The new building was effectively another hall in it's own right. Access to the old hall, and the new hall,  is now via an entrance created when the new part was built, on Banff road. It is now possible to have functions which take advantage of the facilities of both halls at the same time. A modern kitchen and  up to date ventilation control, make these halls ideal for weddings, functions, tombola's and coffee mornings etc. Since both halls can be used together, it is quite feasible, at a wedding for example, to have the dining facilities in the old hall and the dance, bar etc. in the new hall. This allows the dance to go ahead without any wait for the hall to be cleared after any meal.

The Garden of Remembrance is the memorial to the fallen of two world wars. In the garden there are three memorials. The Gordon Highlander memorial stands at the rear, with a striking statue in bronze. A one time sergeant William Gordon of Milton Lodge was used as a model for the statue. One of the plaques detail the names of  138 Gordon Highlanders and 121 names from other units in the first World War. Another plaque is in memory of 23 Gordon Highlanders and 46 other units in the second World War. The garden is maintained by Moray District Council and the memorials by the Keith branch of the British Legion. Numerous awards have been won over the years.  A plaque commemorating other losses is shown here. The hedging round the perimeter of the road past the memorial has recently (Jan 2006) been removed from both sides shown here and here.

Built in 1882 and situated in Seafield Avenue, the Holy Trinity Episcopal Church is a fine building with a very attractive interior. In the Sanctuary is the "Seabury Chair" on which the Bishop Kilgour sat when consecrating  Bishop Samuel Seabury as the first Bishop of the American Episcopal Church, in Saint Andrews's Chapel, Longacre, Aberdeen in 1784. How the chair ended up in Keith remains a mystery to this day. The original Episcopal Church was in Bridge Street  and a new building was erected in Mid Street and the final building as you see it here, with an information board at the gate. The manse, a corner of which is just visible on the right in the main picture, is situated next to the church and is a substantial building in it's own grounds.

This very attractive large house is situated immediately on your right, after crossing the Union Bridge heading North. Built in 1879 for a Colonel C. George to house his large family of daughters. Originally finished in red harl, the house has a chequered history. During the first world war, the house was converted to a Red Cross hospital for wounded soldiers.  It then progressed to become the head-quarters of  the Banffshire Education Department. After further changes it then became the Social Work Department and Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Around 1996 it was then an outreach department of Moray College. This ended in the year 2000. The house is now privately owned and is a fine example of  castle type turrets, with an imposing short driveway and well tended gardens.

SECURITY TOKEN - DO NOT TAMPER

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Page Updated 1st April 2014

 DISCLAIMER NOTICE